My Little Pony:Friendship is Magic OC RP
Welcome to the forum! Here we aim to have fun role playing your own OC ponies and chat with your fellow bronies. Please say hi to us in the forum chatroom at the bottom of the home page and look at the rules to help get you started.
Welcome to the forum! Here we aim to have fun role playing your own OC ponies and chat with your fellow bronies. Please say hi to us in the forum chatroom at the bottom of the home page and look at the rules to help get you started.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to Equestria everypony! Come and Roleplay with your MLP OC in Ponyville and many other places!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Concerning The New Design

Go down 
+6
dontpressenter
Moonlemon
Rosey Bubbles
Doodle Bug
Wild Card
Kid
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Kid

Kid

Concerning The New Design Empty
PostSubject: Concerning The New Design   Concerning The New Design I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 11:13 pm

Not to step on anybodies toes, or say anything that could be rude. I just needed to put my two cents out there.

The recent change in forum aesthetics seems to be giving the site a much more serious vibe. It no longer has the happy-go-lucky feel it used to. Perhaps others might disagree, but I feel that the new changes do not truly represent the forum. Especially not the header. Don't get me wrong, I love the artwork. It just doesn't seem fitting for a website about role playing as technicolor anthropomorphic ponies.

For the record, I am also not saying change it back to the original. I am suggesting that a re-thinking of the design may be in order.

Once again, I don't mean to offend. I just felt that something needed to be said.
Back to top Go down
Wild Card

Wild Card

PostSubject: Re: Concerning The New Design   Concerning The New Design I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 11:20 pm

I agree with Kid. The forum does look a lot cooler, and the tank commander thing is badass. But it seems much more different than what we do here. The only thing relevant we have to that is Folly of the Elite, and that hasn't been touched in a while. When people see this forum, we'll give off the image that we're RPing war all the time.

So it would be a good idea to rethink the header and stuff. I still like the art 1nc. It's just not appropriate for this forum
Back to top Go down
Doodle Bug

Doodle Bug

PostSubject: Re: Concerning The New Design   Concerning The New Design I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 11:23 pm

I agree strongly Brawny.
Back to top Go down
Rosey Bubbles

Rosey Bubbles

PostSubject: Re: Concerning The New Design   Concerning The New Design I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 11:44 pm

I personally love what they did. Before, it was just pictures of plain ol' Ponyville, now it really feels like the forum we came to love. The header is pictures of all the Admins, and a beautiful light purple and blue colour scheme to go with the header. In my opinion, that doesn't make it serious-looking at all. It just personalizes this forum, and when new people come and find this site, they'll be greeted with with the oc's they'll get to know and rp with. And their amazing creators, too.

But, I don't want to stir up any debats. And besides, shouldn't it be about the people? Not the colour scheme, or the header on top?

This is why I came to love this forum. Because of the community. Not the design of the forum itself :)

~Sunny :D

Back to top Go down
Kid

Kid

PostSubject: Re: Concerning The New Design   Concerning The New Design I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 11:54 pm

I understand your point of view Sunny, and I agree that having something with the admins would be fun. Just not a war theme situation. Perhaps have them doing activities, or simply posing as they normally would. Without the war attire.

I also agree with community, but most people don't know the community right off the bat. They might be turned away thinking this is a war themed site. When they war themed thing on the entire site is in the AU.
Back to top Go down
Moonlemon

Moonlemon

PostSubject: Re: Concerning The New Design   Concerning The New Design I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 21, 2013 12:00 am

I agree. I liked the warm colors, now everything gives me a serious vibe, like everyone is unhappy and I'll suddenly make someone sad of offended by saying anything. That's probably just me. Besides, the war header might give the wrong impression to new-comers that this it a warpony-RP. But if that's what you all decide, I can get used to it.
Back to top Go down
dontpressenter
Admin
dontpressenter

Location : A little pocket universe after almost destroying the old one.

PostSubject: Re: Concerning The New Design   Concerning The New Design I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 21, 2013 12:11 am

Well...

From what I can understand, the majority of the complaints come from fear that the change in design is more 'darker and edgier' than what goes on in the forum, particularly with the complaint the header is too 'war-like' for MLP RP.

To that I respond, this site has gone far darker, and honestly there are many areas in this site that are far far far from 'happy go lucky' (see: 99% of the AUs). Me? I think that actual pictures of OCs represent an OC forum quite well. (Admittedly, there may be some bias.) As for the colour, I find it both refreshing and dare I say a little bit more classy. It's like the Canterlot to the old design's Ponyville.

But much like the posters above, what I said it my opinion. Maybe it would have been better if the header wasn't sepia tone-ish. If there was an image of our ocs (NOT hastily pasted together ponymaker) of similar quality that is more 'general', I would consider it as a replacement. As it stands now, I think it's fine.

In short, give it time to become familar, and we'll see if there's any noticable detriment to the site's contents.

Last edited by dontpressenter on Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Wild Card

Wild Card

PostSubject: Re: Concerning The New Design   Concerning The New Design I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 21, 2013 12:14 am

I think the colors give off a cold, dark, bland, and depressing feeling. It just looks so gray to me. And the header makes me feel like I'm under a military dictatorship. Or that I'm at war with everypony. That doesn't represent our community at all. I'm not forcing you guys to change it. I'm just voicing my opinion.

I hate sounding like a whiner and that I'm ignoring you guy's hard work with making the picture, designing the forum, or managing it. All of those are a fantastic job. But maybe you guys could reconsider some of your choices. I hate making this into a huge controversy and sounding like a bratty 16 year old girl who didn't get the car she wanted. But I like giving my opinions. I may be outnumbered in my idea 5 to 1, but that is what I think.

And I'll admit, there is some dark stuff around here that even I'm a part of. Yet that doesn't represent us as a whole. If you wanna keep the forum this way, that's fine. I'll still come on here as I usually do. This is just my vote
Back to top Go down
Amber Flash

Amber Flash

PostSubject: Re: Concerning The New Design   Concerning The New Design I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 21, 2013 12:35 am

Alright. Time to throw down.

A) To dark and edgy? Seriously? On the forum where many people have to be told to actually down down the dark themes? Also, the threads in the roleplays are not always sunshine and rainbows, everything is fine and dandy. There can be dark things, conflicts, fights, and other such things. I personally love the new header. aside from the artwork (Which is great) it shows the diversity of roleplays that happen on the site and shows our dedication to using our OCs in a variety of different ways, compared to the original, bland stock photo.

B) The colours are fine. Agreeing with our pal Intel, I think the new colours add a little bit of class and sophistication. The old colours were more bright and happy to be sure, but the forum is not bright and happy goofiness. We have (or at least should have) sophistication and maturity. These new colours can reflect that. Am I saying that they are better than the old ones? No. But they work for our forum and what we have. They should not make too much of a "Moody" atmosphere.

C) People will not think that all we roleplay is war. If they read the giant letters right in front of the header drawing, and if they read a little bit, they will realize that there are tons of roleplays going on. First impressions do count, but if a person is serious about roleplaying on the forum, they will not just look at the header and then turn their face away.

Well, I think I covered everything. That is just my opinion. I personally am very grateful that 1nc took time out of his own life to make something for us, and I think that he deserves some applause either way.
Back to top Go down
Blind Side

Blind Side

PostSubject: Re: Concerning The New Design   Concerning The New Design I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 21, 2013 12:48 am

I whole-heartedly agree with Amber and Intel. In my opinion, we shouldn't have a forum that'll only show you what you want to see. we're not only sunshine and rainbows. It says a lot about our character and unity as a community.

The only other thing I'm gonna say is that 1nc put a lot of hard work, thought, and love into the new header, and I don't think it should be taken down only because it's not happiness and rainbows.

I'll shut up now, as I'm prone to say something I'll regret.
Back to top Go down
Wild Card

Wild Card

PostSubject: Re: Concerning The New Design   Concerning The New Design I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 21, 2013 12:55 am

Eh, I think I'm done arguing this. I still say that 1nc did a good job with the design. And that we do have our dark moments from time to time. But if you wanted my opinion on how the forum looks now compared to the old style, I prefer the old one. Maybe I just need to get used to the change. But I don't feel like arguing this any further. I pretty much already lost too.

Once again, my activity won't change no matter what the forum looks like. I still love everything and everyone here. Sorry for fueling the fire. And arguing just makes me feel like crap anyway

Keep the Tank Commander Admins? That's fine. Go with something happier and brighter? That's fine too. Either way, I hope the forum and everyone in it lives long and prospers
Back to top Go down
Moonlemon

Moonlemon

PostSubject: Re: Concerning The New Design   Concerning The New Design I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 21, 2013 1:07 am

Oh oh crud cruddy crud. I agree with Brawny I shouldn't have fueled the fire. Now I feel bad I know how hard it is to redesign even the COLORS of a website. I actually really like the picture, that wasn't a big thing with me. It looks interesting and cool and I actually like it. Classy indeed. I just wanted to point that out. Sorry. 1nc did a WONDERFUL job.

But it's the background colors. It's so light and cool. Cool in color-classification way. I just feel... cold. I'm sorry, but it's how my mind works. Literally, that's how my brain(and almost all others, as you may see) works and sorts colors with impression of emotion. It's nice and I won't die if it changes or anything and I don't want to bother anyone, but it makes me just kinda loose inspiration for any threads that have anything that is warm or friendly. It makes it seem like everyone doesn't like me and I'm kinda afraid to post on this thread. Like if I say the wrong word someone can snap. Colors mean a lot. AU's are many times very dark, but when they're not, or your regular canon threads aren't, and it throws me for a loop. I... well, I don't want to complain. But all I really wish for is a happier blue. Or a sky that isn't all grey and rainy-looking. Again, very sorry, I'm sure you worked very hard and that you don't take this the wrong way. I hope I haven't offended anyone.

I'll stop now. Sorry you had to read this silly bugger-of-a-post.
Back to top Go down
Korenav
Team Coordinator
Korenav

PostSubject: Re: Concerning The New Design   Concerning The New Design I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 21, 2013 4:14 am

I love it. All of it. Colors especially. The header may not be so relevant, but I think we deserve some tom foolery. Russian tank commander Shala ftw!
Back to top Go down
Weedo The Great

Weedo The Great

PostSubject: Re: Concerning The New Design   Concerning The New Design I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 21, 2013 6:14 am

I don't like it. It's not because the artwork is bad, it just does not feel like MLP, or represent the community as a whole. Yes there is dark stuff, but that is not the main attraction and if you say the site is not a happy and goofy place...You are just wrong, yes it can be dark, but it's still MLP. and I would prefer if we made a new more warm design.

The war themed banner with all of those frowning faces and smoking being the first thing you see when you enter the site, is not that welcoming to say the least. If I saw that when I first signed up I would never have joined...Seriously, I love this place, and I hate the thought, that I would have overlooked it.

And yes it's a mature community, but don't act like this represents the forum as a whole.

And about the forum not being all rainbows and sunshine. Yes that is true, but most of that is AU and remember it's MLP. We have sunshine and rainbow kittens too.

Remember that this is a site not just for adults.

Please, I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything. I'm just worried for the forum as a whole.
Back to top Go down
Kid

Kid

PostSubject: Re: Concerning The New Design   Concerning The New Design I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 21, 2013 9:17 am

A few numbers.

5 against new design
6 for new design (Including 1nc)

A majority of those against new design are regular members.

A majority of those for new design are staff members.

I don't mean to sound rude, or to point fingers...but I can't shake the feeling that the majorities of each side seem to be important. Once again, not to be rude. But perhaps the staff are a tad biased?
should point that out.

I'm sorry, I shouldn't be doing this. I just really felt that maybe it would be important to point that out.
Back to top Go down
Amber Flash

Amber Flash

PostSubject: Re: Concerning The New Design   Concerning The New Design I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 21, 2013 10:35 am

Kid, I think that was a bit of a low blow. How am I biased? My character is not up in the header, nor do I owe 1nc any special favours. You also have to realize that we did not just magically poof into staff members. We were regular members first, and have chosen to devote our free time into running the forum and helping it. We don't do this cause we get payed. We do this because deep down we all really care about the forum and the people in it.

As for the little kids, do we really want kids on this site? With all that goes on in role play and the chat box, I think a couple smoking ponies will be the least of our worries.

In the end, the forum is only as serious as people make it. You want it to be lighthearted?Ten act that way and role playthat way. And if someone misses out on the forum because of their impressions of a picture, then that is theirproblem problem problem. They're missing out on one of the best sites ever cause of their early judgement.
Back to top Go down
Weedo The Great

Weedo The Great

PostSubject: Re: Concerning The New Design   Concerning The New Design I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 21, 2013 10:41 am

Amber try to think of how wrong that sounds. This is MLP of course there is going to be people that are younger here.

And YES the first impression is important Amber!

EDIT: And besides, this is not about the admins or the mods. It's about the good of the site and I will fight for it.

Double EDIT: And don't forget, it's a show for kids!

Last edited by Weedo The Great on Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Wild Card

Wild Card

PostSubject: Re: Concerning The New Design   Concerning The New Design I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 21, 2013 10:44 am

Okay, so, eliminate the bias things and the new members. But there's also our current members to be worried about. From what I've seen and heard, the new header and color scheme don't take to well to our members now. It gives off a very depressing feel and the header makes this place look like a dictatorship.

The kid thing, I could understand. But just so you know, I'm 14, and considered a kid in comparison to most of our members. And with the people having problems: I remember people having trouble with all the Grimdark in the Chatbox. But you say it's okay when it's the new face of the forum? You also forget that the founders are 13 and 14

I can understand your viewpoints Amber, and you're still my best friend. But I still think the forum and header need changes. Not as much for new member traffic, but for the morale and stability of our current members. Moon said the colors and pic didn't make her comfortable, Weedo told me it looks depressing and it makes it hard for him to post, and there's me saying it. There was also the issue, as Intel stated in other places, that only a small group knew about the change, which, in itself, would cause an uproar.
Back to top Go down
dontpressenter
Admin
dontpressenter

PostSubject: Re: Concerning The New Design   Concerning The New Design I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 21, 2013 11:08 am

For people who might not know:

https://mlp-fim-oc-rp.rpg-board.net/t2201-poll-on-the-new-design-please-vote

A poll is through that link, along with most of my thoughts on this now really quite depressing issue.
Back to top Go down
dontpressenter
Admin
dontpressenter

PostSubject: Re: Concerning The New Design   Concerning The New Design I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 21, 2013 12:09 pm

I know I'm double posting, but [a long string of swear words and curses], I'm tired, irritated and quite frankly I'm glad the colour aren't currently bright and passionate, because I would have broke something.

This theme? This setup? It's a WIP. Yeah. As in, not finished.

Argh.

I'm going to sleep.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Concerning The New Design   Concerning The New Design I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Concerning The New Design
Page 1 of 1